May Book of the Month: An English Guide to Birdwatching by Nicholas Royle


A lovely review of An English Guide to Birdwatching



May’s book of the month is a story of literary theft, adultery and ambition; a unique take on the state of the nation novel. An English Guide to Birdwatching combines a vivid and often hilarious send-up of the intelligentsia with strong political, ecological and moral conscience.

Published by Myriad, An English Guide to Birdwatching is at turns a metafictional romp and a deeply touching evocation of the problems facing the modern world. The central characters – recently retired funeral directors Silas and Ethel Woodlock; young man of letters Stephen Osmer and his beautiful and brilliant girlfriend Lily Lynch – between them provide ample opportunity to dissect various facets of contemporary British society. The novel weaves together seemingly incongruent strands of plot into a surprising climax that is as madcap as it is shocking.

Whilst Ethel and Silas relocate from London to the (supposedly) more peaceful coast, encountering amidst the mundanity…

View original post 286 more words



My dear friends!

I would like to clear some space in the studio, so I think it is time to sell a painting (or two, or ten…). I am going to post images, with a description, and the minimum price (and post and package is up to the buyer, of course:/). If you would like to bid for one of them, please, email me on or Direct Message me.


UPD.: oops, forgot the sizes:(

1.  The Moirai, oil on canvas, 100×120 cm, minimum price £120OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2. Two, oil on canvas, 40×40 cm, minimum price £100


3. Think, 40×60 cm, oil on card, £50OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

4. You are here, oil on canvas, 100×120 cm, £120



5. Lucid, oil on canvas, 50×50 cm, £100



6. Link, oil on canvas, 70×100 cm, £120



7. Floating Form (or Socks), oil on canvas, 70×100 cm, £120


Book launch next week!


I am so excited! on the 4th May (next Thursday)I am going to attend the book launch in London. The book by Nicholas Royle An English Guide to Birdwatching  is published by Myriad Editions. It is a brilliant novel about literature, love, death, writing, and the author calls it “a post-fiction novel”.

And the exciting thing is that I made illustrations for the book:)

Here are some illustrations from the book. If you would like to buy a print of one (or more) of the images, do email me:)

Of course, all images are mine and mine only. Copyright, etc.



Painting again


After MA finished, I stopped painting for a couple of months. And then I received a an illustration commission (the book is coming out soon, and I will share all that work when it is published).

But now that that project is over, I started painting again. This is work in progress, of course, and it is based on one of the drawings for the book.

Dissolving the margins


Dissolving the margins


The borders between you and

not you and

everything in between are too thin

painfully thin. You feel every hair

every fissure of the not you.

Every moment you blink with the eyes that are not

yours and breathe with someone else’s lungs


You die get born give birth and die again

the endless times during

the day and night

all the relentless hours of now


Here is everywhere


You have no edges left

The you is stretched through every moment and every place


That person at the table to your left, his fingers on the glass of water – you feel the startling coolness of the perspiring glass, you feel his aching right molar and you connive at delaying a visit to the dentist yet again, his trickle of sweat is running down your backs and his thirst makes you gasp for water.


You feel bile rising in yourhis throat because of this unrelenting proximity




MA exhibition


on Friday, the 2nd September, Margaret Street Birmingham.



the moment of total clarity when

everything that is and

everything that is not and

would never be

becomes clear, you get overwhelmed with understanding and familiarity of all, and love and the grief of knowledge


only a moment – blisteringly



frozen momentarily

liquid nitrogen pouring down the eyesthroatnose



the knowledge is wiped clean – not a sliver of knowledge or understanding that overtook the whole being remains.


no memory left but a memory of a memory, the nostalgia for the unremembered.


trying to find it again and again; it is on the verge of recognition

a forever distant horizon.


oil on gessoed board

60×80 cm


The sinusoidal approach to the time of the submission


This is what it feels like: one moment you think you actually have got it all in hand (paintings are finished, well as far as they can be, and even dry; transport arranged; critical evaluation started…) and then you suddenly face the fact that that is it: ten days left and your work will have to stand on its own, and two years of your life will be examined and given a mark… And a wave of sheer panic engulfes you.



I am thinking about the name for what I am doing for the MA show. the title I cam us with is Dissolving the Margins. it started off as Dissolving Margins, but I feel the inclusion of the definite article makes the title more active (from the adjectival to verbal).


I have published this drawing before but it works here as an illustration.